Are you a passionate, eager individual who wants to help others improve body image, reduce stigma of eating disorders, and spread awareness? Then our love our bodies, love ourselves movement is right for you.
Our mission is to provide an eating disorder prevention approach and resiliency based system of services, workshops, education, and support to people of all ages in the Province of B.C.
The primary purpose of the love our bodies, love ourselves movement is to provide leadership to a wide collective effort of volunteers, eating disorder professionals, nutritionists, health care providers, counsellors, educators, social workers and individuals committed to raising awareness around the prevention, early intervention and treatment of eating disorders. This includes awareness of risk and protective factors such as resiliency, self-esteem, media literacy and body image, all of which can be associated with disordered eating.
• Approximately 1-2 hours per week
Time and day of volunteer Engagement:
• Of own time
• Your home and/or work station
Skills & Experience:
• Work well with a team
• Energetic and excited about creating positive change
• Good time management and planning skills
• Suitable personal qualities, empathy, understanding
• Excellent leadership skills
• Knowledge of eating disorders
• Event hosting experience preferable
• Commitment to the vision of PEDAW
• Familiar with social media
Opportunities: we are always looking for…
• Graphic designers
• Guest bloggers
• Event, contest, activity or campaign promoters
• Social media postings
• …and much more!
HERE ARE JUST A FEW WAYS YOU CAN GET INVOLVED*:
1. Become a love our bodies, love ourselves advocate.
We always need help getting the word out about the love our bodies, love ourselves! movement! You can participate and join in by sharing our posts, images, videos, etc. through social media and using our hashtags: #loveourbodies, #pedaw, #showpurplelove
2. Become a guest blogger.
For more information, see our guest blogger guidelines page.
3. Host your own community event.
We have a number of ideas for you to try out in your own community to help bring awareness. Want to book a display window in your community library? How about organizing a flashmob? Email us with your ideas and we’ll support you by sharing your event and supplying you with resources ! firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Create a PEDAW window display at your local library.
To get started, email email@example.com in December through to the end of January each year.
5. Join the PEDAW Committee.
Organize activities to demonstrate your support and commitment. Members are expected to attend monthly teleconference meetings and will be asked to identify and orient an alternate if they are unavailable.
6. Are you a venue who has the capacity to light up purple? Then participate in our annual #showpurplelove campaign where every year we ask local landmarks to light up PURPLE to mark Eating Disorders Awareness Week! Fill out our form here: https://goo.gl/forms/jbdKeT7n4lap0IKn2
*For more information, please contact: pedaw[at]familyservices.bc.ca